From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:56:40 -0600
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>I heard a story that at some point, some cavities-- perhaps behind some
>walls-- were filled with concrete to fit the acoustical aesthetic of
>the "modern age".  Is there any truth to this? Supposedly Karajan then
>conducted in it, and swore he would never perform there again.  If this is
>true, I'd like to know if that Guido Cantelli concert took place before or
>after the "adjustment" at Carnegie Hall.

Long before.  Concrete was poured--under the stage, I believe--during some
remodelling of Carnegie Hall a few years ago and it did adversely affect
the sound, but it was subsequently torn out.  The Cantelli Concert was
close to half a century ago; I'd have to look up the date of the
remodelling.

Jim Tobin