From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:13:02 -0800
I've been wondering about something for a while, and a question from a
coworker brought the issue to a head.  Basically, I'm looking for a simple
explanation for why all instruments aren't built in the same key.  Is it
because the timbral possibilities would be too limited? Is it because the
key signatures would get out of hand, and/or the music would alwyas be
above or below the staff (seems like they could have fixed this by
utilizing the various of clefs)? In the past I have transposed music
for various instruments (ex., arranging piano scores for instrumental
ensembles), and I'm aware of the mechanics inviolved.  I just don't know
exactly why the different keys for different instruments came to be.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/