From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:09:14 -0500
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'll be a bit more specific.  There is nothing--nada--on the air even
>remotely comparable to Performance Today.  It costs a small fortune
>for a non-profit organization like NPR to produce this show.  No one
>else--commercial or non-commercial--does it.  That, ipso facto, qualifies
>as a "major investment" in my book.

Without getting into the debate on whether his post was a cheap shot or
not, I can sort of understand Don Satz's reaction if his local public radio
station is just as awful in music coverage as the ones I have access to
here in LA (KCRW Santa Monica and KPCC Pasadena).  And no, they don't have
the Performance Today (AFAIK).  Instead we've got the moronic "Morning
Becomes Eclectic," designed for people with no taste who are anxious to
stay trendy and "fashionably non-conformist" in their listening, and god
knows what other horrible stuff late at night.  With PBS scaling the
heights with their "three tenors and a Yanni" music programming on the
TV side, it's hard to work up any enthusiasm for public broadcasting's
contribution to art music at any level (at least not if you live here in
Southern California as I do).

Ulvi