From:
Gary Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:14:16 -0500
Indranil wrote:

>I came across quite a few of the Opera d'Or label in online stores
>recently.  Can any list members recommend some Cds on this label.  The
>prices are dirt cheap and I suspect there is no libretto with each set
>and the sound of some of the cds could also be awful but some the cast
>and conductor list look pretty impressive on paper.  So recommendations
>wanted...

The best source for Opera d'Oro recordings is the manufacturer, Allegro
Music.  The website is http://www.allegro-music.com/opd/.  You can
download the current catalog from the main site.  Allegro also offers
the best prices and, if you order $30 or more, the shipping is free (at
least in the US).

You are correct.  These recordings do not generally include the libretto.

I have a number of issues by Opera d'Oro.  The 1950 recording of Wagner's
Ring by Furtwangler is excellent.  Also, there are collections of operas (4
complete operas per collection) by Puccini, Verdi and Strauss that are an
excellent introduction to their works.  Good shopping.

Gary Hoffman
Omaha, Nebraska