From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:16:30 +0000
Jeffrey Hall writes:

>Dear CM fans, Here's an idea for a new thread.  Instead of your favorite
>pieces, what are your favorite movements? ...
>
>I think that this thread is a good idea because I find that what often
>draws me to a new work is a great movement that I heard on the radio.  ...

Jeffrey you know you are commiting sacrilige here don't you?

Here in the UK there is a debate about the merits of two classical radio
stations.  The first is the BBC's radio 3 which is supposedly conservative
and plays only complete works.  The other Classic fm plays all the pop bits
and pieces like the first movement of Beethoven's moonlight sonata and the
hall of the mountain king from Peer Gynt.

I am ambivalent on this one.  On the one hand a work like a symphony
is a complete unit and one can only appreciate its greatness (or not) by
considering all movements.  But on thother hand anything that brings people
into classical music is to be welcomed.

Considering this last point I will list for you some of the bits that meant
something to me because they attracted me to serious music.

Haydn's surprise symphony andante (of course)
Beethoven's fifth (first movement of course)
Thaikovsky's 1812
Berlioz's Roman carnival
etc etc.....

Bob Draper