From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:57:25 -0400
James Tobin wrote:

>Ron Chaplin asks:
>
>>I was wondering what other members thought of the Concentus Musicus
>>Wien/Harnoncourt recording.
>
>This is one of the oldest CD's in my collection.  Previously I had enjoyed
>I Musici, who could not be more different in their performance.  (Very
>slow.) Harnoncourt brought out the "bounce" in the music, if I can put
>it that way, and made it sound dance-like rather than songful.

I'm still waiting to find reissues of the Boyd Neel recordings that
appeared on successive 10" London lps in the early 50s, which were my
introduction to these concerti.  I remember snapping these lps up as they
came out, one by one, discounted or not.

A few years ago, I bought an earlier Boyd Neel CD reissue of these works
and, to my immense disappointment, I fond those earlier performances
horribly over romanticized.  They sounded like a Tchaikowsky take on these
works, a la "Mozartiana"!

Walter Meyer