From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:43:51 +0200
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>The New York Times recently reported on a new record label in which the
>artist retains ownership of the recorded material while the label sees
>to the distribution and manufacturing process.

There are a bunch of these labels popping up.  I think it's great.
With super-low production costs they can afford to do whatever
repetoire strikes their fancy, and the collaboration between artist
and label is close.  Another similar label is Eroica Records, great name.
With this outfit the artist's collaboration extends to the manufacture as
well; you send the finished product to them and they sell it and distribute
it and give it tender loving care and the prestige of being on a
widely-distributed label.  As it gets easier on the net to advertise these
little companies could see a lot of business in the years ahead, both from
artists looking for alternative distribution and audiences looking for
off-the-beaten-path repetoire and new presentation.

   http://www.eroica.com/

Dave
http://mp3.com/davidrunnion