From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:47:22 PST
The fifth volume in the Hickox/Chandos survey of Haydn Masses has just
been released and contains the Mass in B flat major (Heiligmess) and the
Mass in G major (Nikolaimesse).  Both works are excellent examples of
Haydn's mastery of the sacred choral form.  There are rousing choruses and
beautiful aria/type passages combining duets, trios, and quartets with solo
singing.

As with previous issues in this series, Hickox and his orchestral forces
provide exciting and idiomatic performances.  The choral work is absolutely
ravishing.  The vocal soloists are soprano Lorna Anderson, mezzo-soprano
Pamela Helen Stephen, tenor Mark Padmore, and Stephen Varcoe handling the
baritone duties.

This is a great group of vocal soloists.  Both female soloists are superb;
they are highly expressive and have gorgeous voices that just melt through
my body.  In duet passages, the female voices sound great.  And the men are
also very good.  All four soloists work together as a true team.  Suzuki
would be very lucky to have either of these female soloists for his Bach
series on BIS, because these two ladies well reveal what's lacking with the
female soloists Suzuki has been utilizing.  But, I don't think Suzuki has
been listening to me.

The recorded sound is also excellent, although bass response is a little on
the low side.  If acquiring this cd, I strongly suggest you boost the bass
response - orchestral sounds will then be nice and rich, and the choral
passages will have appropriate weight.  Just the other day, I read a review
of the cd which was also highly complimentary; sound was simply reported as
excellent.  But, I'm very sure that a bass boost is necessary to maximize
listening pleasure.

Don's Conclusion - A must-buy for those following this series.  Other
interested parties can rest assured that they would be acquiring a high
quality recording.  Even those allergic to HIP performances might like it.

Don Satz