From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:29:32 -0600
Tony Duggan wrote:

>David Helfgott, of course.  He of "Shine" a film I have never seen nor
>intend to.  Yes, what ever did happen to him? Was he the nine day wonder
>many thought he would be?

Tony, despite the exploitation of Mr. Helfgott that happened after the
film became popular, you really should see the film.  It's a wonderful
story, and a very well-made film.  It would have remained so if the
promoters had left the poor man alone.  He was indeed the nine day wonder
that was predicted.  Alas, his profundity was non-existent and the records
bombed in the press.  When all of the typical know-nothings, the likes of
whom claim that Charlotte Church and Andrea the Fraud are the future of
opera bought his discs, they were immediately consigned to the bargain
bins.

Kevin Sutton