From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:58:44 PDT
Deryk Barker responds to Bob Draper:

>>I have heard two versions of the work.  Kurt Masur on Philips silver line.
>>....Bernard Haitink on Philips digital classics.
>
>Well, you certainly haven't heard any that *I'd* consider worthy
>of the work.

Deryk went on to list a few recordings of the 9th he thinks are
particularly worthy.  I'd just like to add Bernstein's version on Sony -
the most thrilling Scherzo I can recall.  Deryk doesn't want me to mention
Gardiner's 9th, so I won't.  (got it in anyways).

Sometimes, I have the feeling that a list member does not like a particular
work, and the problem is which versions have been listened to.  It's
probably best to listen to the most outstanding recordings of a work before
concluding it's not up to speed.  I don't have anything against Haitink's
or Masur's 9th, but they are well below the best available.

Don Satz