From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:18:09 -0800
Instead of the usual unrestrained enthusiasm about anything from Thomas
Quasthoff, my first take on his new Deutsche Grammophon CD, "Evening Star:
German Opera Arias," is "that's nice."

I wonder if Quasthoff is responsible for the program - I doubt it.  He
is a better showman and an artist interested in more substance than these
selections indicate: SIX of the CD's meager 10 cuts are from Lortzing
operas (three each from "Zar und Zimmermann" and "Der Wildschutz"), so
chances are Christian Thielemann, who conducts his Deutsche Oper orchestra
on the CD, had more to do with it.

Regardless of responsibility, it just doesn't make sense to
publish a long-awaited CD of opera arias and end up with this kind of
pleasant-but-minor stuff instead of, for example, Mozart and Wagner -
two composers Quasthoff sings supremely well...  and who offer a bit
more than Lortzing.

There are two Wagner excerpts, both from "Tannhauser," and fitting as
Quasthoff's voice is for Wolfram's aria, Thielemann's super-slow tempo
is takes away from the enjoyment of the music.  On the other hand, there
is absolutely nothing wrong with the other selection, "Gar viel and schon
ward hier in dieser Halle," which is performed exceptionally by Quasthoff
(as the Landgraf), orchestra and the Deutsche Oper Chorus.

The remaining two arias serve as proof, as if needed, that Quasthoff's
range and excellence come through convincingly in opera as well as oratorio
or lieder.  The selections from Weber's "Euryanthe" and Strauss' "Die
schweigsame Frau" are as thrilling as I had expected the entire album to
be.

Janos Gereben/SF