From:
David Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:08:57 -0400
Stuart Karow wrote (in part):

>Can anyone recommend a book(s) that would give me a greater
>appreciation and understanding of HIP? I recently saw a book that
>approached the subject by organizing the chapters around particular
>countries of origin and historical periods.  The title and author
>escapes me, but I think the preface was written by Christopher Hogwood.

I don't know the book you refer to but I can highly recommend Richard
Taruskin's "Text and Act." It has some of the most lucid writing on the
realities and the hype of HIP I've ever read.  In fact it has some of
the best writing on music, period.  It's published by the Oxford Press.

David Simmons
Virginia Beach, VA