From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:42:06 -0800
Smyth writes:

>Gone are the days when I would have to give up lunch for a week in order
>to buy that next gotta-have-it Mahler or Strauss CD.

For the first decade or two of a person's classical music experience, they
have 350 years of history to get aquainted with.  The way is well trod, and
the help copious.  After that, you are on your own, and the present cannot
help but be poorer than all of the past taken together.

The change is rather like the student who had no trouble meeting potential
sex partners in college wondering why their dating life is so much poorer
after taking their first job in Omaha Nebraska.

Stirling Newberry
http://www.mp3.com/ssn