From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:10:35 PST
Ian Crisp wrote:

>But over the last few years I've become aware of his increasing reputation
>as a conductor in more orthodox repertoire, and specifically as a Mahler
>interpreter - but not intrigued enough to seek him out in concert.  Nor,
>as I'm not Don Satz, enough to mail-order a couple dozen Boulez recordings.

Ian gives me too much purchasing power.  I've never ordered as many as two
dozen Boulez recordings; I doubt I even have two dozen in my possession.
But, I do have the DG Maher/Boulez symphonies except for the 1st.  I like
them very much and am glad that Ian enjoyed the Boulez concert of Mahler's
6th - yes, I did read Ian's narrative account.  After all, it's Ian and
Boulez.

Ian also mentioned the difficulty of listening to all cd purchases while
holding down a full-time job.  It isn't easy, especially if you have other
things which you want/need to do on a daily basis.  That job of mine keeps
getting in the way.

Getting back to Mahler, I bought the Chailly/Bonney account of the 4th
symphony.  I've only listened to the final movement so far and am very
impressed with Barbara Bonney.  She has a delicious and youthful voice.
Any other opinions of her singing on this recording?

Don Satz