From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:10:08 +0100
I recently questioned why the major US orchestras record so little
US music.  Recent key recordings of US music seem to be dominated by
orchestras in the Ukraine, Bournemouth, Scotland and New Zealand. As a
specific example I also asked why there is only one recording of Piston's
violin concerto (from the Ukraine)and why up and coming US violinists
aren't recording it and other great US violin concertos (is the Barner
the only one deserving attention?).

I've just checked the site for the Philhadelphia Orchestra which plugs
its first recording from their posh new Kimmel Centre.  What could it
be?  Music by Schumann.  Surely not William Schuman?  Don't be daft.

These are symphonies etc by Robert Schumann.  Nevermind that the market
is flooded by Schumann symphony cyles or that the conductor Sawallisch
has already recorded a fine set in Dresden (I doubt the Philhadelphians
match the Dresdeners' charaterful woodwind and leathery timpani).

Under Stokowski and Ormandy the great Philhadelphia Orchestra blazed
trails into new, advenurous and, even, US music.  Could they continue
making such recordings in future?  The signs do not look promising.

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK