From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 01:43:33 -0400
I'm probably confused, but it seems to me that the piece was recorded at
least a couple of years ago and was going to be released with the "Alberich
Redeemed" piece, but then problems arose.  Maybe this is a more recent
recording.

In any case, it is LONG overdue, for as I've said probably too many times,
it's one of the great masterpieces of the last 25 years.  Eventually it
will be performed more often than the Barber concerto.

Why Rouse continues to be slighted by critics compared to relative
lightweights such as Glass and Daugherty is beyond me.  His latest work
"Rapture" has already been scheduled to be performed in 15 different venues
this year alone.

Rather, I shouldn't say it's beyond me.  There may very well be a cabal of
Modernists who have taken offense at Rouse's severe criticism of the atonal
hegemony he claims to have experienced during the 60s and early 70s.  The
silly classification by some of him as one of the New Tonalists hasn't
helped either.

As always, the music will win out in the end.  Those who want to properly
experience Rouse should join me at the all-Rouse concert at the Cabrillo
Music Festival in Santa Cruz CA August 4th.  See www.cabrillomusic.org for
more information.

Jeff Dunn
Alameda, CA