From:
Wilson Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:10:46 -0300
Hector Aguilar wrote regarding the Berlin Philharmonic:

>I hope that they are improving under Simon Rattle, but they struck me
>as having deteriorated a lot under Abbado.  Someone told me that
>after Karajan many of the old players retired, and that their
>replacements weren't as good.

I couldnt agree more. By the way, here is what is written at the BPO site:

   "Abbado's programmes bring a pronounced shift of emphasis.
   Each cycle of concerts now has a thematic focus - for example,
   "Faust" or "The Wanderer" or "Music is Fun for All".  This
   conceptual modernization corresponds to a significant
   rejuvenation of the Philharmonic itself.  Well over half of
   the current membership joined the orchestra during this time".

Wilson Pereira
Natal, Brazil