From:
Nate DeMaria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:40:41 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>There are two main types of music listener; those who like technical
>contraputal writing and those who like a high emotional content.  Of
>course, the two aren't always mutually exclusive and there will be shades
>of grey in between.

I think that the difference between the two groups is by preference
of either technical contrapuntal writing, or emotional content.  In my
opinion, someone who prefers the emotional content of Brahms, Tchiakovsky
or Elgar can still appreciate Mozart and Handel for the beauty of melodies
and Bach for many other reasons.  But I agree that there are definately
two groups of music listeners.  I myself don't get around to listening
to Mozart very much because it doesn't have the same effect on me as
Tchaikovsky's Pathetique symphony or Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique do for
example.  But I still feel that the difference in the two groups of people
is by preference, and that all music has a lot to offer.

Nate DeMaria <[log in to unmask]>