From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:24:30 -0500
Mats Norrman:

>I listened a while ago to String Quartetts on a tape copy.  I first enjoyed
>how Ravel pickled with rythms in his and how DeBussy painted a blurred
>Monet in his.  Then I came across a string quartett which really blew me
>away.  It says "Composer: E.J.Moeran".  Gee this is beautiful music!  Is
>there any CD recording around?

Yup.

MOERAN: String Qt #1 in a
        String Qt #2 in Eb (pub. 1956)
        Fantasy-Quartet for oboe, violin, viola, & cello
        Piano Trio in D
Vanbrugh Quartet, Nicholas Daniel (oboe), Joachim Piano Trio
ASV CD DCA 1045  Total Time: 77:15

MOERAN: String Qt in a
        Violin Sonata in e
Melbourne String Quartet, Donald Scotts (violin), John Talbot (piano)
Chandos CHAN 8465  Total Time: 40:02

The 2nd string quartet was found after Moeran's death (although an early
list made by Moeran lists 4 string quartets) and published.  It's not
considered an official part of the canon, although I think it just as
wonderful as the a-minor.  Chandos has provided only a shameful 40 minutes
worth of music, and although I bought both discs, I did get the Chandos
from Berkshire Record Outlet, so I got a break on price.

Steve Schwartz