From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:20:05 +0200
Geoffrey Gaskell wrote:

>...  I would also be very interested in acquiring any HIP chamber music
>by Weber.  Has any such been released that is particularly recommendable?

The obvious choice would be the clarinet quintet op. 34.  There is a very
good recording by L'Archibudelli with Charles Neidich on Sony, but that's
the only Weber piece - it is combined with Hummel's Quartet in E flat and
Reicha's Quintet in B flat.  Neidich has recorded the Weber Quintet again
with the ensemble Les Adieux on Music Alliance, in this case combined with
a quintet by the little known German composer Sigmund von Neukomm.  On
another Sony CD Charles Neidich plays the Sonata for clarinet and piano op.
48, combined with Mendelssohn's Sonata in E flat and Danzi's Sonata in B
flat.  Robert Levin is playing the fortepiano. Sony reissues a number of
recordings which were released in the 70's and 80's on the SEON label.  It
is a very cheap series and still very worthwhile.  There is a 2 CD-set with
songs and chamber music with singers like Carolyn Watkinson, Ian Partridge
and Max van Egmond, and Frans Vester (flute), Anner Bijlsma (cello) and
Stanley Hoogland (fortepiano).  Furthermore there is a CD on Amon Ra with
a flute trio and four sonatas for piano and flute, played by Stephen
Preston (flute), Jennifer Ward Clarke (cello) and Richard Burnett
(fortepiano).

That is all I can find right now.  Weber is still a somewhat neglected
composer.

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)