From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 06:25:48 -0700
I had the exciting privilege of being a student assistant to Maurice
Abravanel in the 50's and early 60's...  a great conductor.  Many, many
of his recordings are still available.  He was a wonderful man as well
as a remarkable conductor, though actually known better in Europe than
the USA.  It was difficult to get a top recording contract while playing
in the facilities of the church there.  He always had time for students
and dedicated musicians.  Many of the musicians in Salt Lake City had
jobs for life, so some less than stellar talent was a burden.

Abravanel still gets a great deal of airplay on music stations in Phoenix
and Tucson, but I have no idea how he is still received elsewhere.  He
was among the early supporters of a great deal of "modern" music.  He
loved Milhaud and the others you named.

He was on the faculty at the University of Utah, and did have a place of
respect in Salt Lake City that would be the envy of most music leaders.

Ray Bayles