From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:18:00 -0800
Jonathan Knapp wrote:

>I'm going to have to agree and disagree.  I have performed the "Spem in
>alium" on several occasions in a cathedral tour of England, and I a can
>say that it is a tremendous piece to experience on either side of the
>conductor.  But the inherent problem with it, is that you have to
>experience it live. . . . It is very intricate in the inner voices and
>requires profound bass presence to support the framework of the piece.
>Al you need to do is follow along with the score to hear how much you
>are missing.  You also lose out on the antiphonal effects between
>various choirs (1 & 8, 3 & 5, etc.) It is very exciting in performance.

Agree with all of that.  I sang it with our symphony chorus in a very
large church and we were situated all around the church, with people
sitting just about anywhere (no regular seating) and of course hearing
most the choir that was nearer them ...  but the sound of all those choirs
spread throughout the church and the sheer 3-D effect you can't get through
speakers (nor the feel of airiness) make the harmonies so much more
transparent.  Speakers can only flatten out the sound, and i've never heard
a recording that comes near the experience.  On the other hand, until you
can hear this (it's rare), you can use your imagination (and maybe
headphones would do better for this piece) and still hear some of the
beauties in this but no more than half of it at best ...

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search sheet music, videos, CDs, books