From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:11:32 -0500
I'm getting in late on this, but I notice that Dave Lampson takes Don
Satz to task (rightly, in my opinion) for Don's remarks concerning NPR's
"Performance Today" and fellow poster John Proffitt that for the first time
on this List, I could have characterized only as a cheap shot.

Dave then finishes with this comment:

>Or perhaps this was just another childish attempt to "provoke" discussion.
>I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I've pretty much lost
>patience with those tactics.

To which I would suggest that let's put our money where are mouths are,
to perhaps make the discussion more positive and productive.  So I ask if
Don has a problem with PT (a show which I've enjoyed a lot myself) in its
format, level of sophistication, or something else, I would like to hear
what would constitute a better "investment", major or otherwise, in place
of PT.

Would it be more recorded music? Fewer concerts and live interviews with
musicians? Should we substitute PT with two hours of daily commentary
on classical music and the free market by Don Satz? (I would tempted to
call it "The Survivalist's Guide to Classical Music", but that would be
unlikely:-), especially since it would involve trying to get underwriting
from one of those Sagebrush Rebellion groups).

Personally, if I had the power to make the decision, I'd supplement PT with
a revival of the Young People's Concerts concept that Lenny did so well for
an earlier generation, and do it for about an hour extra per day.  That way
it might have to be limited to a single work, but for kids' attention
spans, that would be fine.

The only option which is off the table, IMHO, is that NPR go away, because
whatever its faults, it won't.

Bill H.