From:
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:15:36 +0100
Don Satz responds to me:

>>Berlin isn't an obscure label.  It's very good - very rarely do they
>>present anything that isn't top notch.
>
>How true.  I treasure Berlin Classics's Bach on Silbermann Organs
>series. Unfortunately, those recordings are hard to find in the USA.

And their semi complete Schumann songs series is the best available.
Try www.jpc.de where the prices are low and a large order attracts flat
rate postage.

As for Berlin being obscure because its hard to find, that's the way
things are these days - stores stock only only Naxos these days, and
el cheapo labels where the profit percentage for stores is higher than
for the artists or the original recording company.  Sure, good things
can be found on these labels but it's hit or miss, and none of us can
afford too many mistakes.  How i wish we could still browse in shops and
talk to real people, rather than just surf the net and hope for the best.
At least with Berlin, chances are that the performance will be at least
worthwhile, and often much more so.  And also, not a bland "international"
style.  And because the former East German government didn't record for
profit, they often did things that weren't commercially viable.  but
worthwhile.  Whoever bought the rights for Berlin was onto a good thing!

Anne