From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:25:10 +1300
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> scripsit:

>Maybe we should have laws to prevent the passing off of a big band version
>of a Mozart symphony as the real thing.  What it actually is is 'Mozart
>(arranged whoever)'.  At least the HIP brigade are attempting to be honest.

I would *not* dispute the fact that the 'HIP brigade' are honest in intent.
Nor would I exalt the 'HIP brigade' by belittling the Big Band 'arrangers'
for nobody gains anything thereby.  Fortunately I at least am able to
listen with equal ease to Mozart performances conducted by Boehm, Walter,
Gardiner, Hogwood, Toscanini, Beecham, Bernstein, Marriner, Harnoncourt,
Mackerras etc etc.  If this ability marks me as a criminal, then I'll be
quite happy to make my home in Sherwood Forest where I can Hoodwink anyone
and everyone who is just passing by (whether or not they're members of the
Court of King Caractacus).

Geoffrey Gaskell [log in to unmask]