From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:58:50 -0800
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>This whole cd is gorgeous.  The Serafino Trio is fully professional,
>wonderful, musical, delightful.  Don't just take my word for it: go to
>Dave Runnion's website or his mp3 site and listen for yourselves.  You are
>in for a treat.  And as great as it sounds on mp3, it just cannot compare
>with the fine sound quality of the cd.

I fully concur.  Fabulous playing.  Doesn't seem possible they all
found one another on this remote island.  Re the quality:  those with
Fast- Internet (DSL or cablemodem working effective) will take the 'hi-fi'
options at mp3.com -- (as opposed to 'lo fi') these are very good quality,
soundwise, like good broadcast fm without fm reception, as long as there's
not too much net congestion.

Lo-fi does not give you a good idea of their sound, unfortunately, so try
to "download" the items instead (one can accept long downloads usually
because you can still web around and email while it's going).  The ones on
mp3.com are still of better sound quality than what I heard while trying
Dave Runnion's site - the samples of which were quite distorted on the
routing they took to my computer on the west coast.  But do visit to read
more about -them-, of course.  And listen at mp3.com

While we're on the subject:

Other recommended listening at that site, especially for those with good
network connections but more specifically fast-internet ones, are:

   http://www.mp3.com/constancekeene

Her new set of Hummel, especially.  She recorded them recently at age 80
and her technique is not to be believed.  That we've not generally heard
someone on this level says something very sad about the system for getting
fine artists heard.  The first Rachmaninoff there is a blazer, with a lot
of thought and balance behind it.

   http://www.mp3.com/nari

Don't let the sophomoric descriptions bother you.  This young woman's
performances of Hetu and the Stravinsky "Shrovetide Fair" are quite
amazing.  The Hetu isn't to be missed.  The Liszt "Apres une lecture du
dante" is especially good in the 2nd half.  Caution:  Avoid the Mozart.
Very annoying.

   http://www.mp3.com/johnbellyoung

An often controversial music critic/writer who is a very fine pianist.
This is really only for folks with fast-internet access.  The older live
performance of "Mephisto Waltz" some 26 years ago is one of the very best
renditions I've ever heard, but it's recorded from the audience and the
sound is quite bad.  Still worth the hearing because of the quality of the
playing, which is fantastic.

His Scriabin is up as well, including an interesting number not on the
current disc, a Nocturne for the left hand alone, played with sensitivity.

That's enough for now, but there is more there that is very good.

Serafino's ratings on Mp3.com shows all is not lost there, re being able
to find the diamonds.  In the piano section, things are more difficult
with easy-listening players putting themselves there so that the actual CM
pianists are hard to find, which is why I'm adding some URLs here for those
interested in excellent playing we don't often get to hear, due to the way
CM is marketed in the U.S.

>Hooray for the warmth of the performers, their togetherness, balance,
>mature musicianship.  I hope this is just the first of many Serafino Trio
>cds to come.

I think we will likely have a chance, once a critic with a good audience
picks up one of these CDs.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search sheet music, videos, CDs, books