From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:25:01 +1100
Donald Satz, in reply to Jon Gallant:

>Jon has not represented my theory correctly.  My premise is that state
>control of classical music would have dire consequences for consumers,
>performers, and composers.

Don does not seem to realise that state control does not necessarily
become totalitarian.  Democracy flourishes, at least as well as in the
USA, in countries where taxation revenue is used to support culture.

>Further, Jon mentions the fine classical music stations in Western Europe,
>but the Governments in those countries do not control classical music.

That is so, but they *are* democratic governments and they *do* fund
classical music broadcasting.

>So, an incorrect reading of my premise combined with comments on
>"current" practices in Democratic countries are not germane to supporting
>or debunking my premise.

I contend, and so do others, that

>My premise is that state control of classical music would have dire
>consequences for consumers, performers, and composers.

is not in accordance with observable facts in democratic countries which
have state support for music and happy consumers, successful performers
and prolific composers.

>State control means "total" control;

Not in Australia it doesn't!

>I do not have direct experience with European classical music stations.

Surely that is a good reason for keeping an open mind.

>If any of you think that classical music fares well in a totalitatian
>state, perhaps we could enlist the aid of the scientific community to build
>a Time Machine.  You could then be transported back to the old USSR and
>have a ball.

Don is greatly confused.  State built roads are no more or less
totalitarian than state supported music.  Music is as necessary to
a nation's health as its roads.

>But, of course, you don't want that.  I don't either.  The existing
>musical conditions in Democratic nations generally entail private means
>with some Governmental support and programming - that's not state control,
>and its virtues are not relevant to a discussion of expected conditions
>under state control.

The facts in Australia, at least until recently, do not support Don's
thesis.  As far as I can see, the facts in other, non-USA, countries are
similar.  In this matter the USA appears to be leading the world from the
rear, with Don's enthusiastic support.

Alan Dudley