From:
Dan Dickstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:56:37 -0400
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Mary Esterheld wrote:
>
>>I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that cuts were made to
>>tailor the music to fit the scenario of the film - not to fit it onto an
>>LP.  Also the recording technique used in the film was not reproducible
>>because of the way it was recorded (I believe with many microphones
>>strategically placed - very early (first?) attempt at 'stereo' sound).
>
>Wasn't it recorded onto film in some way.  I have a vaugue memory tied
>up with (apart from the Sorcerer's Apprentice, of course) my favourite
>sequence "The Soundtrack Entertains."

As with all sound films after the very early 'thirties, when Warners
used the "Vitaphone" process, which recorded sound on disk, the soundtrack
to Fantasia was recorded on film using the optical sound process first
developed by Lee DeForest around 1923.  The process essentially
photographed the soundwave, which was printed alongside the picture on the
finished film.

Stokowski recorded the soundtrack with the Philadelphia Orchestra before
work on the animation was done, and then the animators created the visuals
to synchonize with the music.  As I understand it, a relatively simple
microphone setup was used, however in a few instances boom mikes were moved
about during the recording to create the illusion of the sound moving.

For a reissue of Fantasia around 1980, Disney decided to re-record the
soundtrack in up-to-date digital sound, using a studio conductor.  The name
Irving Kostal springs to mind.  Their efforts were roundly and justly
condemned.

Subsequently, the original soundtrack and picture were restored and
reissued, both theatrically and on video.

I think pretty much all the music in Fantasia was abridged, reorchestrated,
etc.

Disney is about to release a new version, replacing everything but
Sorcerer's Apprentice, conducted by -- who else? -- James Levine.  They're
doing two live performances at Radio City.

Stokowski and Reiner both conducted the Philadelpia Orchestra in
experimental stereo recordings made by Bell Labs in 1932 or '33.

Dan Dickstein <[log in to unmask]>