From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:10:34 -0000
I would be intrigued to know whether anywhere else has a unified music
examination system as in the UK.

Here we have the Associated Boards of the Royal Schools of Music
examinations, Grades 1 (beginner) to 8 (advanced).  Duration ranges
between 10 and 30 minutes.  Grade 8 is the level needed for entry to any
of the major music schools.  Pass is 100/150; merit 120/150; distinction
130/150 at all levels.

The exams are broken into:

- Set pieces - most commonly 2 contrasting pieces and a study.  At the
higher levels on the piano, for example, you might get one of the 24
Preludes and Fugues, a Beethoven Sonata and then a modern study, but the
list choice is pretty large and can cater to most tastes; normally you can
choose from about 10 pieces on each list.  (90 marks - 30 marks each piece
where 3 pieces are set)

- Aural tests - tests for rhythm, harmonic understanding, part singing and
structure (18 marks)

- Sight reading - complexity and duration depending on grade (21 marks)

- Scales and arpeggios ranging from 10 or so to start to over 600
combinations at grade 8.  (21 marks)

The amazing thing is the system has not changed much in the last 40 years
(the set piece lists have been updated, but the level of competence is
still measured the same way - and unlike the school examination systems,
there has been as far as I can tell no "dumbing down".)

What do other countries do to ascertain musical levels of competence, and
do they work?

I confess a personal interest - I recently took my first exam for 40 years
on a new instrument, for the fun of it (and a bet); and I do not think I
have worked so hard for many an aeon!

Dr Christopher Rosevear