From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:51:16 +0100
John Smyth wrote

>Don't laugh, but after 24 years of listening I've finally stumbled
>across the music of Malcolm Arnold--his "Dances."

The Proms did a British Film programme including Arnold's music to St
Trinians.  The two pianists walked on dressed as schoolboys wearing short
trousers, caps and jackets.  As they went passed the conductor the two
"boys" started jostling each other before sitting at the piano. Seated
at the piano there was a bit more pushing until they settled.  One then
looked round to make sure he wasn't being watched (only on TV and the
audience) and took out a catapult.  He took aim at the conductor and
fired I,m not sure whether he hit him or not.  The conductor then started
waving his baton in a threatening manner and then confiscated the catapult
(boo!).  He then pointed sternly at the piano, the "boy" looked sulkily
back at him.  Eventually after some reluctance the music began.  As the
camera panned back it could be seen that the percussionists were now
wearing girls wigs with two plaits sticking out.  I half expected the
upper fifth girls to burst on to the stage complete with hockey sticks
but perhaps mercifully the orchestra were spared that!

Tim Horwood