From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:59:05 -0500
Thanks to all of you who provided some wonderful names to add to the
list of amateur musicians.  My project was a membership letter for our
local chamber music center and I believe it added to the impact of our
letter.

And now another question...

This one is the result of lunch with a conductor friend of mine...

We wondered, what does it take to get a classical music lover who rarely
attends a concert (I would include myself in that group) to attend a
concert.

I could only list points like

 - A performance of repertoire I can't readily find on CD

 - Performance of a work I value highly, a piece that is rarely
   heard in concert

 - A social obligation...I know the soloist or it is a designated outing
   of some sort...

 - To introduce a friend to classical music

The question is centered more on a classical music lover who doesn't
attend concerts, not someone who would be attracted due to some extra
musical consideration...to hear a "name" soloist...etc.

As to the use of the suggestions...we hope to put them into the marketing
plans for the next season...in short, how does one market a symphony
concert to a sincere devotee of classical music, a devotee who rarely
attends concerts.

Karl