From:
John Hayward-Warburton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:16:56 +0000
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>An interesting question has always been to me bird song - natural sounds
>that many have taken as music, but is it? Do birds sing or call? Does a
>bird organize sound or does it simply emit what's been implanted in its
>birdy brain for survival? Where's David Attenborough when he's needed?

Have you ever (had the opportunity to?) taken a recording of birdsong, and
slowed it *right* down, to about 1/64th its original speed? I did, and was
amazed by its complexity and structure, and could well understand what
drove Messiaen.

Does anyone want me to record some birdsong in the garden, and stick some
slowed-down files on my web-page? Might be some time before I can do this
due to other committments.

John Hayward-Warburton