From:
Frank Wales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 03:20:59 +0000
Hector Aguilar wrote:

>So here is the question: How many Romantic composers wrote at least two
>(I chose two as the lower end number, because I suppose anyone can write
>at least one symphony in his/her life) but fewer than 9 symphonies?

>Offhand I can think of three composers who wrote fewer than 9 symphonies--
>Berlioz, Brahms, and Tchaikovsky-- but who else is there?

Off the top of my head:
   Mendelssohn (I'm not counting his symphonies for strings)
   Schumann
   Borodin
   Sibelius
   Nielsen
   Rachmaninov
   Liszt
   Saint-Saens
   Spohr
   Elgar

You might argue that some of these aren't Romantic, but you had
Mahler in your list, and the above were publishing their symphonies
contemporaneously with his.

You could also include Ives (and Schoenberg, why not?), who wrote
symphonies during the late Romantic period of a fairly non-Romantic
nature.

You could probably even include Beethoven, if you wanted to argue that
his earlier symphonies weren't Romantic works, and he therefore didn't
have nine of them.

What was the question again?:-)

Frank Wales [[log in to unmask]]