From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:34:25 PST
Being in a mood for another version of Shostakovich's 1st symphony (such
a mood is possible), I bought the Yuri Temirkanov/RCA recording of the 1st
and 6th symphonies with the Festive Overture.

Naturally, the disc opens with the Festive Overture.  Fortunately, it
only lasts about five minutes.  It is one detestable piece of music:  no
substance, nothing memorable, sort of a mixture of John Williams doing a
John Wayne movie with snatches of My Fair Lady.  Worst of all, I sense in
the music a mindless level of happiness and humor.  This is 2nd rate music
all the way.

The rest of the disc is much better due to the music.  The recorded sound
is fine, but you'll need to crank up the volume considerably.  I promise
you won't be hurt.

Temirkanov's performances are very good from the technical end.  But, it's
all too "civilized" and demure.  I like my Shostakovich on the crude and
dirty side; Temirkanov, like most active conductors, cleans him up and
presents him wearing a sophisticated suit and top hat.  That's not my idea
of the Shostakovich sound.

So, I end up admiring the performances but feeling like I've just left an
English Gentlemen's club.

Don's Conclusion - pass on this one unless you like your Shostakovich
well-buttoned.

Don Satz