From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:30:54 -0700
Kevin Sutton writes:

>For heaven's sake, it's not about the damn covers!  It's about the music....

fur continues to fly in different directions, then:

>PS.  Naxos sales: Average 10,000 pieces per title per year.  In our
>splendid cut out bin at Tower Dallas.....about half the Hyperion catalogue
>at an excellent price of $6.99.  The only problem is that the beautiful
>cover art has a big hole drilled through it.  Who's got the winning
>formula? Klaus 1: Hyperion 0!

I am reminded of a particularly stinging childhood incident at school:
While running from Art History to Music, an overly large Decca box-set
spilled out of my backpack and onto the middle of an occupied basketball
court.  To my horror, the 7th-graders playing basketball suddenly found
Birgit Nilsson, (dressed as that Biblical sex-kitten Solome), gazing up
seductively from the hot asphalt below.  Some of the kids were amused,
others were frightened, and my forehead was suddenly hotter than the
late-June ground that was baking our feet.

--------------------

My father and I came back later that evening with ladder in hand and
dislodged Birgit from one of the basketball hoops, but unfortunately the
records had shriveled up on the roof of the school's cafeteria long before
we could get to them.  Needless to say, I didn't share my love of CM with
others for quite awhile after that.

Peer pressure 1: Classical music, 0.

If only it were a tasteful Hyperion issue, my therapist muses, I wouldn't
have been caught a year ago running through school yards dressed as Solome.
(Luckily, I was still wearing four of the veils, and only got probation.)

Solom...er, John Smyth