From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:25:23 -0800
Richard Todd wrote:

>There used to be contributor to this list, whose Polish-sounding name I
>can't remember, who was an editor of a French publication very similar to
>the Penguin Guide.  I've looked at it in book stores and it seemed pretty
>good but, in Canada at least, it was prohibitively expensive.

He is Piotr Kaminski, who co-authored with Jean-Charles Hoffele the "Guide
des Indispensables du disque compact classique." I have the 2nd edition
published in1994 but titled, naturally, 95; as well as the 96 supplement.
At the time they cost 150 ff and 69 ff respectively in France.  The
publisher was (is?) Fayard.

I liked their style.  Among other things they would list versions other
than those that they chose to comment on as well as versions whch should
be re-issued.

I don't know if they are still bringing out up-to-date versions.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]