From:
Thomas Heilman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:59:22 -0500
Steven Martin writes:

>To all concerned, Today I swung by a used record store that had a ton of
>used LPs.  Unfortunately, I cannot divulge the location of this store since
>it would promptly be swamped with list members scarfing up the same LPs
>that I am planning to buy this weekend.  ANYWAY...I saw two copies of a
>Beethoven #9 conducted by Horenstein.  I had been unaware of any Beethoven
>by Horenstein.  What is the verdict on this recording? They also had the
>Klemperer/Philharmonia Ninth from EMI so I might buy that one instead.

I have a cd recording of this work with the VSO.  It has been a while
since I have listened to it; therefore, I cannot go into detail about the
performance.  If good sound is a priority for you run away from this one
though.  Dropouts and fadeouts abound, especially in the third movement.
Still, the performance has garnered repeated hearings from me, and I am not
overly fond of this symphony.  Best advice is that if you love Horenstein,
really love him, go ahead and get it.  You will not be disappointed.  I
recall seeing this listed at Berkshire Records for $1.99 some time ago.
Don't know if that is still the case.

The Klemperer/Philharmonia Ninth, however, is not Klemperer on his best
day.  No drama, etc.

Thomas Heilman