From:
Edward Janusz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:01:30 -0400
Steve Schwartz said:

>Yet Sowash does bring off big things.  The Harvest Hymn and Harvest Dance
>for cello and piano has a stark, Romantic, yet human-scale dignity.

I heard these on an overnight program on Connecticut Public Radio and
went out and tracked down the recording.  I believe it's only available
from the composer's Web site.

It's pretty unusual for me to indulge in listen once then buy.  But
there is something different about Sowash's music.  There seems to be
a streak of optimism that permeates much of it.  Or maybe that's the
Midwesternness, or both.  If you'll permit me a metaphor, the more
music-mad among the volunteers at your local animal shelter might relate
to the sentiments implied in the music of Rick Sowash.

Edward Janusz