From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:32:56 +0100
Sorry - I am coming in late on this one...  I have a back-log of messages
and I have only just seen it.

First, many thanks to Steve Schwartz for his interesting (as always)
account of Bronius Kutavicius' "Last Pagan Rites" (Choir of the Vilnius
Ciurlionis Art School, Digrys (organ)/Romas Grazinis; Kaunas State Choir,
Lithuanian National Symphony Orchestra/Robertas Servenikas) on Ondine.

Kutavicius wrote four Oratorios, three of which can be found together
on 33Records ("Oratorijos" 1997 33CD006) at the Lithuanaian Music Centre
(http://www.mic.lt) "Last Pagan Rites", (1976) is the same recording.  It
is followed by the startingly alive "From the Jatvingian Stone", (1983) for
vocal ensemble and "non-traditional" folk instruments, interpreted by the
AIDIJA Chamber choir, Grazinis, conducting.  Then comes the more reserved,
quite beautiful ""Tree of Earth", (1986), for mixed choir, vocal ensemble,
brass, organ, timpani, keyboards and "non-traditional" folk instruments.
Domarkas conducts the Kaunas State Choir with the New Music Ensemble, and
brass and percussions from the Lithuanian State Philharmonic Orchestra.
And yes, it all sounds quite as amazing as would appear.  Quite an
experience.

I think "non-traditional" means folk instruments played in a
non-traditional way...

Juozas Rimas Jr:

>One more piece by Kutavicius can be found on the CD "Lithuanian New
>Music Year 1997"  [...] There are better pieces on the CD though (by
>the most influential Lithuanian composers J.  Juzeliunas and O.
>Balakauskas).  I can't be unbiased about Juzeliunas' monumental 15-minute
>(!) oboe solo because of its performer, but it's a great work (should
>be listed among the best compositions for woodwinds in the 20th century).

I couldn't agree more...  Balakauskas never fails to reach me and the
Juzeliunas piece, "Litanijos" (1997) is both admirable and moving.  Juozas
Rimas Sr.  serves it well.  His oboe is magnificent - sensitive and
powerful.

Regards,

Christine Labroche