From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:42:31 -0600
Wes Crone wrote:

>Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Harnoncourt et al are to be avoided, Rilling is thrilling!  (sorry
>>couldn't resist!)
>
>I guess we all have different tastes because I think the Harnoncourst
>series sounds very nice.  I'm a Bach fanatic and a die-hard period
>performance supporter.  I like the Harnoncourt set.  I don't know what it
>is that I like about it but I find myself turning to his recordings more
>than any other.

The problem that I have with the Harnoncourt are the boy soloists.  (I
know, I know, Bach used boys so it should be good enough for us!) NOPE!
The intensity of emotion, devotion and religious ferver in the arias of
Bach are far too deep and complex to be understood by a child, let alone
conveyed by a child.  Sorry, but they just don't stand.

Kevin