From:
David Cheng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:02:10 -0400
For several years I had barely listened to my 200-CD collection because
1) I rarely made time at home to sit down and listen, and 2) I didn't
have CD player in my car and found the CD size too awkward to deal with
anyway.  I bought almost no CDs during this time - why bother?

But when I bought a 15 GB iPod a few months ago, my collection came
back to life.  Now I can listen to anything on my old input-less car
radio via the FM transmitter attachment to the iPod.  It took me a few
weeks to rip all the CDs into MP3 format.  I'm buying more CDs on eBay
to discover new composers and music because I will actually listen to
the music now.

One interesting change that I noticed in my listening attitude - I don't
mind hearing just a movement of a piece in the iPod shuffle (I've set
my default to random).  Something that drives me crazy on classical radio
stations is now interesting to me when the Misere from Bach's b-minor
Mass leads into an Ella Fitzgerald track which goes to a Nancarrow player
piano study and then the finale of a Shostakovich quartet.  I suppose
this appeals to me because I chose the music overall and I have a wider
range of it, as opposed to the tired Warhorse Carousel that the radio
stations spin endlessly.

So for those of you with too many CDs and not enough time, treat yourself
to an iPod or other audio player.  It will be well worth the time to
convert your CDs.

David Cheng <[log in to unmask]>