From:
James Hunsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:01:56 -0400
John Smyth wrote in part:

>Derek wonders about my comparison of Hindemith to Shostakovich:
>
>There are many moments in Hindemith where I am reminded of Shostakovich...

One area in which they didn't compare is in championing their own works
on recordings.  Some folks have asked about favorite Hindemith recordings.
You can do no wrong in considering the many he made of his own output, both
as violist (previously mentioned in this thread), but more importantly, as
conductor.  I have at least a dozen works; a definitive discography would
yield more certainly.  They appearing on American Angel (EMI), American
Decca (DGG), and semi-private or ephimeral labels, as well.

Jim Hunsley