From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 06:59:50 -0800
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Steven Martin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>ANYWAY...I saw two copies of a Beethoven #9
>> conducted by Horenstein.
>
>....The 9th is a great performance.....

Well I guess I will never know.  I made my run this weekend and the
Horenstein #9 was not one of the recordings I bought in the end.  Perhaps
some other time.  However, I picked up a Scherchen version of the Third on
Westminster.  Having heard great things about this conductor, I decided to
take a gamble.  A great performance and surprisingly good sound.  The only
problem is that the vinyl is noisy but my experience has been that giving
LPs a spin now and again tends to clean out the grooves.

Something else that I saw was a surprising number of Van Beinum recordings
on a variety of labels.  Anybody know of any Van Beinum's on vinyl that are
worth hunting for?

Also, I saw Jochum's recording of Bruckner #9 with the Bavarian Radio
Symphony Orchestra.  However, I noticed that in this recording the middle
movement was nearly as long as the outer movements, according to the notes
on the outside of the LP.  Is this a different edition than what I am used
to hearing?

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)