From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:35:01 -0700
Peter Herwitz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> Can anyone reccomend a stellar performance of Elgar's Enigma Variations?
> I am more a chamber music, piano, and lieder afficionado but I heard
> these Variations recently and was completely enthralled.  Thanks in
> advance.

Elgar's own recordings are inimitable, of course, but even the later,
1926 isn't in the best sound and the 1920, acoustic version will probably
be unlistenable for most.

For my money, the greatest recording I know is the 1956 Halle/Barbirolli,
recorded by the Mercury Team of Cozart/Fine/Lawrence and hence in very
fine sound.

Trouble is, I don't think it's in print at the moment.  (I'd be happy
to be proved wrong).  It was originally issued on the Nixa label which
belonged to Pye.  EMI briefly reissued several Nixa recordings on its
(ho, ho, ho) Phoenixa label.  The Morris 1893 Mahler 1 was another.