From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:28:16 -0400
It's very funny how one thing leads to another and how it is possible to
spend hours on a grey New England day looking up performers and composers,
tearing shrink wrap, and having emotional experiences all at the same time.

Today I decided to listen to several cds from Berkshire Record Outlet that
arrived recently.

Because I noticed that there is a list member (I hope he is still here!)
named Paul Silverthorne, I had done a search at the Berkshire Record Outlet
website a few weeks ago, and I ordered just about everything that listed
him out of intense curiosity and violist loyalty.  Berkshire is always my
first stop on these hunts.

Just a little while ago I started listening to the Brahms and Dvorak songs
for Alto on Meridian...  Remember, I ordered these because of the two songs
accompanied by viola.  I already knew the songs, so I knew I'd like them in
advance.

Oh, YUMMY!  What a beautiful rich sound Paul Silverthorne has in his entire
range!  And I should know ...  I used to be a violist myself so I am very
particular about violists.

I've been enjoying ALL of his cds.  (I might have more to say about them in
another message.)

Here is the serendipitous part: The alto who sings all the Brahms and
Dvorak songs (with piano accompaniment by Roger Vignoles) has a voice like
melted butter and maple syrup.  I had never noticed her before, but I'm so
wild over the tone colors and the range of her voice that you can bet I'm
going to do a search right now on HER VOICE.

(sound of mouse clicking)

As I was listening to her voice it reminded me of the voice of Shirley
Verrett which I adored in El Amor Brujo (De Falla) on an old Columbia 33,
a version not available to me since the 'fifties.  I was thinking, 'how
terrific it would be if I could hear Sarah Walker sing that very same thing
with her gorgeous deep and rich low notes.

Voila!  (Not "viola" this time) ...  Berkshire has Falla on a cutout on
Conifer.  With Sarah Walker.  And there are quite a few other cds with her,
too.  Will she use her chest voice the same sexy way that Verrett did? Stay
tuned.  I should have the answer in a few weeks.

Are there any more alto fans out there? Has anyone heard Walker sing
Carmen?

Mimi Ezust