From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:23:34 -0000
Jim Tobin:

Hi Jim, it's been a while...

>Part of my own fascination with music--and its centrality in my life,
>more than with any of the other arts--is its inherent connection with
>time

I seem to remember, many years ago and long before I was ever online,
arguing that the "raw material" of music is not sound but time.  Sound
is the thing that structures time and makes shapes and patterns in it;
and melody and rhythm and harmony and formal structures and etc.  are
analogues of different sculptor's tools that work in different ways and
at different levels of detail.

Unfortunately I don't remember that I convinced anybody else.

Ian Crisp
Good Easter