From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:31:26 +1100
My latest Berkshire parcel contained a Shostakovich CD on Yedang
Classics of the piano concertos, the concertino for two pianos and the
second piano trio, all played by DSCH himself and recorded in the '50s
(1949 for the trio).  The sound is not too bad, but I was surprised at
the fast tempos which are presumably what the great man wanted.  They
also illustrate, if it were needed, that he was a hell of a pianist.
This CD costs as much as a cup of coffee and is certainly worth a
place on your shelves.  I think he only recorded some of Op 87?

Richard Pennycuick