From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:02:50 EDT
Bill and all...  I am wonderfuly surprised and delighted with the new
remasterings of the Toscannini Beethoven series.  My ears tell me that
the technology applied consisted as much from some high frequency boost
as 20 bit sampling.  I have the feeling that the transfers to LP and early
CD were supervised by Toscannini's grandson who probably declined to fix
the high frequencies out of some strange defference to his grandfather's
approving the original recordings as they existed - with all of the audio
worts.  (my theory only, someone please corroborate or debunk) The result
of the latest CD's is symphonic music more like it is heard in real life
and less like it was heard from a 1938 console radio.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA