From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:04:22 -0800
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>...  (I still remember the concert:  Guido Cantelli conducting the NY
>Philharmonic in Brahms' First Symphony, preceded by Rossini's Gazza Ladra
>Overture--an overture being the usual concert opener in those days--and
>after the intermission Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe Suite #2, and the first
>two of Debussy Nocturnes.  No soloist.  The two French pieces haunted me
>for years; I'd never heard music like that before.)

I heard a story that at some point, some cavities-- perhaps behind some
walls-- were filled with concrete to fit the acoustical aesthetic of
the "modern age".  Is there any truth to this? Supposedly Karajan then
conducted in it, and swore he would never perform there again.  If this is
true, I'd like to know if that Guido Cantelli concert took place before or
after the "adjustment" at Carnegie Hall.

Hector Aguilar