From:
Larry Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:37:57 -0500
Marcelo Ramos Araujo wrote:

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>>"The taboo against "dirty words" and fart jokes took a while to permeate
>>the general culture, as Evangelicalism spread.  Queen Victoria may not have
>>been amused, but her predecessor would have.  Queen Elizabeth I, of course,
>>*made* fart jokes."
>
>This is certainly not the main subject for discussion on this list, but
>here you really made me interested.  Where did you learn all that about
>the History of Fart Jokes?

*I* learned a lot about this important subject from *Oh Vulgar Wind:
A Sympathetic Overview of the Common Fart* by the Canadian physician
Munroe Scott.  Don't recall if Mozart is mentioned, but Elizabeth I is.

>I'm with those who enjoyed the flick.

I'm among those who think it's full of drivel.

Regarding Mozart's "vulgarity", I recommend Farts and Longing, a short
story by James Hamilton-Paterson which may have been mentioned here a
few years ago in a thread on music & fiction.

Larry Blaine